Altarnun win first Launceston Cup crown in 18 years

Saturday 5th June 2021 1:04 pm

Altarnun's players, management team and supporters celebrate. Pictures: Paul Hamlyn

Subscribe newsletter

Subscribe to our email and get updates right in your inbox.

Monday, May 31


Altarnun 7

Boscastle 1

CHARLIE Wevill, Sam Smith and Toby Knights all scored twice as Altarnun won the Launceston Cup for the first time since 2003 with a seven-goal demolition of Duchy Premier rivals Boscastle at Pennygillam, writes Kevin Hoare and Barry Rutherford.

A beautiful sunny Bank Holiday Monday turned into a nightmare for Boscastle as they conceded three quick goals on the half-hour mark, their captain Rob Heal suffered a serious injury and Altarnun triumphantly marched on to pick up the trophy.

Pennygillam was looking resplendent in the bright sunshine and in the opening 30 minutes both teams were cancelling each other out.

The game exploded into life on the half-hour mark, however, when Josh Smith ran past a couple of Boscastle defenders before slotting the ball past ‘keeper Nick Lawson, with Charlie Wevill following up to tap it into the net.

Wevill then doubled his and Altarnun’s goal tally less than a minute later when he latched onto a loose ball before catching Lawson by surprise with a crisp, low shot into the corner of the net.

This double setback really put Boscastle on the back foot and on 37 minutes Tom Hancock sent in a good cross and Adam Porter rose highest at the back post to give Lawson no chance, and make it 3-0.

Boscastle’s one good chance was a header by Josh Insley, which Matt Heynes in the Altarnun goal pushed onto the crossbar.

If Boscastle thought they had any chance of retrieving the game, a minute into the second half their hopes were soon dashed by Sam Smith, who powerfully out-jumped his man to score with a bullet header from nine yards out.

Sam Smith turned provider for the next goal, beating a defender in a race for the ball down the right before laying in a pass to ‘tee up’ Knights, on as substitute, to score from six yards to make it five without reply.

Sam Smith then added his second goal, picking up a through ball before rounding Lawson to tap into an empty net.


Boscastle were further weakened by the loss of their central defender and skipper Heal with a dislocated knee cap which he sustained in tackling Josh Smith and conceding a corner.

Boscastle’s consolation goal was scored soon after when they were awarded a penalty by referee Shaun Edge, and Sam Haddy tucked it away. But Altarnun were not finished as Knights accepted a ball on the right corner of the penalty area before firing in a low shot just inside the near post which seemed to wrong-foot Lawson.

A COVID-regulated presentation ceremony saw the players and officials collect their medals from a table and the man-of-the-match award went to Sam Smith, who led the Altarnun attack well throughout and scored two goals.

The Sandercock Runners-Up Shield was collected by Jonny Brewer (Boscastle), and Sam Wade raised the cup for the winners Altarnun, who have now won the competition three times.

Altarnun: Matt Heynes; Josh Smith, Sam Wade (captain), Bradley Stokes, Reece Miles; Danny Moore, Cameron Heard, Tom Hancock; Sam Smith, Adam Porter, Charlie Wevill. Substitutes: Jack Burnley, Jack Swanson, Gareth Smith, Wayne Smith, Toby Knights.

Boscastle: Nick Lawson; Jacob Williams, Jonny Brewer, Danny Capstick, Rob Heal, Myles Harrison, Jordan Sleep, Paul Dray, James Bosley, Sam Haddy, Dan Piper. Substitutes: Josh Insley, Cameron Barrett, Matt Pethick.

Referee: Shaun Edge.

Assistant referees: Phil Volz and Davey Green.

Attendance: 175.

Man of the match: Sam Smith.


To leave a comment you need to create an account. |

All comments 0