By Andy Davis


Bodmin 0 Bude 2

AFTER a couple of seasons not competing in the Cornwall Senior Mixed Cup, Bude made the decision to test their mettle this year and entered the draw which consists of a mini league before knockout games for the top teams. 

So, on Thursday night, the Seasiders made the short trip across to Bodmin to play a competitive game under the floodlights which, for most, was a completely new experience.

Despite an understandably slow start, the visitors adjusted well and finished stronger to edge out their rivals in this closely-fought encounter that could have gone either way.

After a short warm-up, the game got under way in near perfect conditions and both teams were working the ball around the pitch fairly well and with equal control and composure; with neither side budging there was very few chances in front of goal. 

Bodmin created sustained pressure and got their best chances from a couple of penalty corners which they were unable to convert. 

Bude had more of a mix of chances with some penalty corners and some open play shots, but again the ball did not cross the line meaning the game was finely balanced at 0-0 at the break.

During the half-time talk Bude decided to tweak the formation with a view to getting themselves on the front foot high up the pitch to try and get an early crucial goal.

And this worked perfectly as a good press on the halfway line was successful in turning the ball over and a quick counter attack ensued with Charlie Falla picking the ball up and driving hard and direct up the pitch where he pinged a perfect pass to his strike partner Henry Gwynn-Thomas who took control of the ball and let rip with a rocket of a shot the flew into the goal.

The game then went back to a battle mostly in the middle third with both teams thwarting each other as tackles came flying in from left right and centre, most epitomised by Bude’s player of the match Izzy Sobey who was determined all evening with both her tackles and relentless dribbling up the right wing. She was more than a match for anyone on the pitch. 

Half chances came and went for both teams but neither were able to breach the resolute defences and as the game neared the final quarter Bodmin stepped up the intensity with a real purpose on getting back on level terms before the time ran out; with more pressure came more chances but the Bude defence worked so hard to keep them out with every member making a vital save or tackle.

Bude then found a next level of composure as for the final five minutes they produced arguably their best spell of hockey to see the game out as they kept possession and shape really well which allowed them to move the ball around keeping a tired Bodmin at arm’s length. 

In the last minute, the ball was swung around the back to Claire Pipe who passed to Phoebe Gannon who scampered down the left wing and forced the ball into the D where it hit a defender’s foot, resulting in a penalty corner. 

The final whistle then blew so Bude knew this was the final play, and sent everyone up knowing the game was won. The ball was injected by Kristof Saunders to Charlie Falla who sent it back to Saunders who converted from close range with a nice flick to finally settle the score.

Bude visit Caradon in their next game on Sunday, April 14.