Launceston 48 Ivybridge 31

LAUNCESTON rounded off a successful season with an eight-try victory over Ivybridge at Polson Bridge on Saturday.

The All Blacks were using the clash to get their preparations right for the start of the Papa Johns Community Cup which gets underway at league rivals Barnstaple on Saturday (2.30pm).

There were a number of impressive performances throughout, including a hat-trick from stand-in number eight Charlie Tummon, while there were tries for fellow forwards George Bone, Levent Bulut and Albert Horne.

Launceston, who were guaranteed fifth regardless, started brightly and scored in the fourth minute as Bone picked off the base of a ruck to go over from close range.

Full-back James Tucker added the extras for 7-0.

In the eighth minute the second try arrived as from a five-metre scrum on the left hand side, Tummon picked off the base, beat a defender and crashed his way over. 

It was then the turn of young winger Jamie Chapman to get in on the act on 13 minutes as, after intricate play between Tom Sandercock, Todd Crofts and Bulut, the latter sent a looping pass out for the onrushing Chapman to go in from 15 metres.

Ivybridge got on the scoreboard on 19 minutes as following an overlap out on the left side, winger Ben Scott did the rest.

The conversion was added by Matt Grieveson.

The next phase saw no points, before Tummon grabbed his second on 32 minutes. The hosts broke down the left with several phases, and the number eight barged over from close range. Tucker added the extras for 24-7.

It took just four minutes for the next try to arrive.

Following a lineout just outside the Ivybridge 22, the ball was fed to inside-centre Cam Fogden who broke through before popping a pass to Tummon on his left shoulder to go the rest of the way. Tucker slotted his third conversion of the day.

At 31-7 down, Ivybridge had nothing to lose and within a minute of the restart they had got their second try.

A high kick was won in the air by Scott and he then ran down the left flank from 30-plus metres. Grieveson added the extras (31-14).

Within five minutes the hosts were on the scoreboard once more. A five-metre lineout from Bulut was collected at the back, and after the maul was formed, the visiting defence proved powerless to intervene. Bulut was the scorer.

By the 48th minute mark the eighth try arrived following a superb initial break down the left by replacement Jack Statton and Ben Bryant.

After they had got to the 22, a couple of phases later ended with lock Albert Horne crossing the whitewash after taking Sandercock’s pass five metres out. Tucker’s fourth kick made it 43-14.

On 62 minutes Tucker got a try of his own.

After plenty of pressure just to the right of the posts, Sandercock swung a long pass out to Tucker who beat the covering defender to go over in the left corner.

At 48-14 down, Ivybridge could easily have crumbled, however they ensured they returned to South Devon with some respectability to the scoreline as they added two converted tries and a penalty in the final ten minutes to earn a bonus point.

LAUNCESTON: James Tucker, Ollie Bebbington, Ben Bryant, Cam Fogden, Jamie Chapman, Todd Crofts, Tom Sandercock (capt); Ethan Pearce-Cowley, Levent Bulut, Alex Bartlett, Dan Goldsmith, Albert Horne, Tom Bottoms, George Bone, Charlie Tummon. Replacements: Ethan Pearce-Cowley, Brandon Rowley, Jack Statton.

Tries: Bone, Tummon (3), Chapman, Bulut, Horne, Tucker; Convs: Tucker (4); Pens: N/A.

Launceston man of the match: Charlie Tummon.